Saturday, May 23, 2009

Reggie Watts @ the Brisbane Powerhouse


I saw Reggie Watts at work last night and I am a little divided over whether I can honestly say I liked it. Reggie Watts is a Seattle based entertainer who performs music, theater, dance, and comedy assisted by a loop machine.

"In his unique sets, Reggie's subjects range from ancient history, technology, magic, spirit elves, dragons, mythology and theology to pop culture. The music incorporates hip-hop, trip-hop, 80's pop alternative, nu-metal and classical opera, no two songs are ever the same. Reggie loves to disorientate and confuse people in the most entertaining way"

The gig was good but it could have been excellent. The main thing for me was that once he got a good beat box rhythm going on the loop machine he would stop/crack a joke. He didn't build on each song enough. 

The best song of his is one that he insisted was written whilst under the influence of cold and flu medication and weed. Clearly he should use this combination as his muse for all his 
songs. 

I would give his show a 3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment